The College of Veterinary Medicine was originally created as a department in the College of Agriculture in 1952, but was reformed into an independent college in 1988. The college offers special programs for students interested in becoming professional veterinarians. It offers lectures on the structures and functions of animal bodies, the biology of diseases, and applied veterinary medicine. In 1995, the college established an academic exchange agreement with Murdoch University in Australia.
The educational direction of the college embraces teaching knowledge and techniques to produce highly-trained veterinarians, for service in advanced basic medical sciences, clinics, and public health areas.